Mountain Rescue Unit Inc.
Member Mountain Rescue Association
- Tuesday, May 2, 7:00 p.m., Sheriff's Office, 457-26th Street, Ogden (enter back door).
- Minutes from April 4, 2000 meeting - Regan Howell
- Commanders' meeting update - Lane McPheeters
- Discuss preparation of scafolding and climbing wall for Fair - Lane McPheeters
- Medical Assessment - Steve Mayne
- Patient assessment including: vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, respirations), initial
assessment, secondary assessment, ongoing assessment, assessment of the responsive and
unresponsive patient. There will be both theory and practical sessions. All skill levels
are encouraged to attend this training.
- To remain in the MRU as an Active member you must attend 50% of all call
outs and 50% of all meetings and trainings. Members who fall below that level are
classified as Inactive members. Inactive members will continue to receive
the newsletter but will not be called out for search and rescue missions. To return to
Active status you must begin attending meetings and trainings again. At that time you
should inform the commander or vice-commander of your intention to return to Active
status. The dates shown in bold are the MRU specific sessions you should plan on
attending. The other units have invited us to their training sessions, the
complete SAR training calendar is included in the new WCSSAR training newsletter and on
the web site at http://planet.weber.edu/mru. If you do not receive a copy of the WCSSAR
training newsletter in the mail by the middle of the month, please contact
Jeff Malan or Brad
- May 6 - 9am, Ben Lomond Climbing Center, 2370 N. Hwy 89,
free for all ages; 7 pm session at Black Diamond, 3701 Washington Blvd - Richard Schroeder
- May 13 - East Canyon Dive and Crawdad Fry - Art Pluim
- Jun 06, 10 - Swiftwater Rescue: class; practical - Jeff
- Jun 16-18 - K-9 Water Training in conjunction with
Bonneville Co. SAR, ID - Mary Lehman
- Jun 23-25 - National Mtn. Rescue Assoc. meeting @ Nordegg,
Alberta, Canada - Roy West
- Jun 24 - Cadaver Seminar for K9 handlers, Salmon, ID - Mary
- Jun 27 - Wolfcreek Golf Tournament - Jeff Malan or Brad
- Jul - WCS move into new building - Jeff Malan
- Jul 21-23 - MRA Regional Re-certification at the N. Fork
Environmental Center - John Sohl
- Jul 24 - Parade - Jeff Malan or Brad Randall
- Aug 9-12 - Weber County Fair climbing wall annual fund
raiser - TBD
- Aug 17-20 - Jeep Patrol Convention - 40th Anniversary -
- Sep 05, 09 - Helicopter: class; practical–choosing LZ,
landing, loading, hoist - John Sohl
- Sep-Nov - OEC re-certification sessions - Steve Mayne
- Oct 03, 07 - Orienteering: Map & Compass, GPS;
practical - Dave Lehman
- Nov 07, 11 - Mock Search: Incident Command System class;
practical - TBD
- Dec 05, 09 - Medical: class–packaging, splinting,
hypothermia, frostbite, etc; practical - Steve Mayne
- Jan 02, 06 - Avalanche: class, practical
- Jan 20 - Ice axe self arrest
- Feb 06, 10 - Winter Mock SAR: class–snow evacuation, snow
anchors, SKED & OSSII; practical
- Feb Ice climbing and vertical rescue on ice
- Mar 06, 10 - Tension traverse and V-rig: class–vertical
pick-off from a tension traverse; practical
- Apr 03, 07 - Urban Rescue: class; practical
- May 01, 05 - Climb Safe Seminar
- Jun 05, 09 - Swiftwater Rescue: class; practical
- Jun 22-24 - National MRA conference
- Jul 10, 14 - Vertical Rescue: class; practical
- Aug 08-11 - Weber County Fair climbing wall annual fund
- Sep-Nov - OEC re-certification sessions - Steve Mayne
- Sep 04, 08 - Helicopter: class–training and Extreme Team
gear discussion; practical–patient packaging, loading, and transport
- Oct 02, 06 Orienteering: class–Map & Compass, GPS;
- Nov 06, 10 - Medical Training and Drills: class–packaging,
splinting, hypothermia, frostbite, etc.; practical
- Dec 04, 08 - Olympics Incident Command System:
class-–winter search; practical
- Jan 08, 12 - Avalanche Training: class; practical
- Feb 05 - Olympics 11th hour briefing
- Feb 08-24 - It’s here: Olympics and Para-Olympics
- Mar - We Made It Party!
- April Call Outs:
- Apr 20 - Eight overdue hikers, No. Ogden Divide. Five returned, but three were still
missing and then two more came out by the Environmental Center. There was still one hiker
missing and Brad Randall decided to initiate a call-out at 8 pm. Mtn. Rescue and K-9 were
called to respond. Salt Lake County's helicopter was called out but at about the time they
arrived the last missing person walked out at the Environmental Center. He was not dressed
for the weather with tennis shoes and light windbreaker and he was wet and chilled. He
walked out before the SAR teams responded.
Wayne Aprill's new climbing gym, Ben Lomond Climbing
Center at 2370 N. Hwy 89, is open! He is giving membership discounts to SAR personnel.
Come take a look!
Jeff Hirschi passed along information that Snowbasin has
made some personnel changes. They have let their Snow Safety Director go. Malan would like
to get SAR teams on Snowbasin and the surrounding areas, so they can familiarize
themselves with the terrain. Malan is also still trying to get aerial photos of Snowbasin.
Regan Howell stated in the Commanders meeting that Outdoor
Pro Inc needs a list of team leaders for purchasing certain items from them. Anyone
wanting to purchase items must be an active member. (For a definition of Active see the
paragraph under Calendar above.)
Reminder: when attending a call out (or any SAR event)
always sign in and out on the attendance roster. For the sake of state SAR reimbursement,
your sign in/out times are from when you receive the call to your return home. Mileage
estimates are important--including training, meetings, and call-outs.
The web site has a new calendar feature for all WCSSAR
training and events, check it out and click on
the calendar link on the menu in the column.
Law Enforcement Day is May 17th, at Weber State
University, Dee Event Center.
Flyers are out for the Golf Tournament on June 27th at
9:00 a.m. at Wolf Creek. Seventeen teams have signed up so far. Jeff Stark and Mary Lehman
attended the first planning committee meeting but Malan would like more help if possible.
Next meeting is May 4th at 3:30 p.m. at WCSO. We are still looking for donated items for
the golf tournament. We usually make 5 to 6 thousand dollars on the tournament, so this is
definitely a worthwhile effort to fill our empty coffers. We will have dinner at Eden Park
after the tournament.
The first issue of the WCSSAR training newsletter
will go out to all search and rescue members in May-look for it in the mail.
Jeff Malan attended an Olympic SAR meeting in SLC and will
provide an update at the meeting. Jeff Hirschi is spending time scoping out possible
search areas around Snowbasin and documenting them with his digital camera. Results will
be available on the web site later this year.
On April 24th dispatch moved to the new center at 2186
Lincoln. Bugs are still being worked out but under the circumstances things are going
well. They have not begun using 800 MHz yet. Kathy Olsen would like to set up tours of the
center. The old phone numbers 399-8411 and 479-9290 still work and the new numbers are
629-8011/8012. The Mobile Command is being stored at the new Ogden Public Safety Building
until ours is finished.
SAR Jeep patrol Convention, 40th anniversary year will be
held August 17 - 20, 2000. We will be the hosts. This will include a golf tournament, road
rally and gun shoot. Everyone should mark this event on their calendars.
The Wildland Fire Class will be on Saturdays in May on
6th, 8th, 20th and 22nd and is open to all. Contact Steve Carver for more information and
to register, pager 591-1718.
The K-9 team has a new prospective
member-puppy Megan and
her human, Mary Lehman. The next K-9 training will be Urban Tracking on May 7th in Logan.
For more information contact Mary, pager 202-7110.
[WCS Underwater Recovery Team]
Space for this page has been supplied by the Physics
Department at Weber
State University, thank you!
Please direct all comments and queries to the webmaster at jsohl
"at" weber.edu (The email address is
written this way to help reduce the amount of spam I get, sorry for