Mountain Rescue Unit Inc.
Member Mountain Rescue Association
Tuesday, October 5, 7:00 p.m., Sheriffs Office, 457 - 26th Street, Ogden (enter
- Minutes from September 7, 1999 meeting;Colette Miller
- Commanders meeting update;Lane McPheeters
- Update from MRU meeting (Idaho);Roy West, Lane McPheeters
- Urban Rescue Classroom Training;Dave Black
Calendar: To remain a member in
good standing you are expected to attend the Tuesday monthly meetings and the monthly
training/service sessions. The dates shown in bold are the MRU specific sessions you
should plan on attending. The other units have invited us to their training sessions
which are also shown below.
- October 5Monthly Meeting
- October 9Urban Rescue - 0700 Fire Training Tower, 12th Street
- November 6Orienteering/GPS/Map & Compass
- December OEC Recertification/CPR Recertification
- January 2000Avalanche, Probe Search
September Call Outs:
- September 6 - 2 girls stuck on Ben Lomond - Called off
- September 11 - 52 yom Strongs Canyon, Lifeflight picked up and brought down to WSU
- September 15 & 16 - 2 Mtn bikers, Powder Mountain, came out at Avon on their own.
- September 18 - 11yom North Fork Park, got separated from group, (Jeep Patrol) Called
- September 18 - Diabetic man missing, in town (K-9 & Jeep) Called off
- Lane will be discussing new ideas about combining teams and pagers.
- Dave Black will be doing the training this month on Urban Rescue. We will be doing
classroom stuff on the Tuesday night meeting. If you wish to attend the Saturday training,
you MUST attend the classroom on Tuesday.
- Lane McPheeters & Roy West attended the Mountain Rescue Association meeting in
Idaho, (September 25 & 26). Roy West is now the Chairperson for the Intermountain
Region of the Mountain Rescue Association. Congratulations Roy!
- The upcoming meetings for MRA this year will be in Las Vegas in January, and Alberta,
Canada in June.
- Several people have put a lot of effort into getting our new trailer ready to be used.
We now have a shelving system in it and is should be easier to find things and put them
away. Check it out, it looks good. We also need a list of people who can tow the trailer
to calls if needed.
- The Mock Search that we had in September went well. Thanks to Dave Black for setting up
a good scenario.
- The Jeep Patrol will be having the Bus out at Red Rock again this year for the deer
hunt. The Sheriffs office would like 24 hour coverage at least on the weekend.
Everyone is invited to help out for this event. If you have some time available (October
16-23) you can contact Jeff Stark 549-3728 (pgr) or 732-9187 (home). The bus will be set
up on the 14th and there is usually a burger fry then.
- Sheri Trbovich has been able to get a 17" flat screen monitor for use in the Mob
Com. The Sheriffs office will also be getting a printer for there. This will greatly
help in getting maps of the area out to everyone in a search and giving Incident Command
up to date progress of everyones positions.
- The Sheriffs office has re-done their call numbers. They are looking to re-do SAR
call numbers also. This should be done by the end of the year. For those of you who do not
have call numbers yet, it will be a little longer.
- New SAR equipment: Mighty mouse (snowcat) broke down last year, rear end went.
Sheriffs office was able to get one just like it from Emery County. The county shops
will combine the two and make one great one with spare parts. Jeep Patrol got a new
trailer for hauling snowcat (chrome dome), 7 ton, goose-neck. The Swanson Foundation has
donated a UT 2000. It is a rescue litter made for Air transport.
- Information about the Photon Micro-lights will be presented at the meeting. Sheri
has been working hard on getting it set up for wholesale pricing for us. We must have a
total order of 144 for this pricing. Be prepared at the meeting to put in and pay for your
order. Brad Randall is collecting all of the checks and orders. Send email to
Sheri for information on the lights and order
- The Air Boaters will be have their meetings with the Jeep Patrol.
- The internet site that John Sohl has put on the web is: http://planet.weber.edu/sar John and Sheri
have spent a lot of time an effort re-doing the page. Check it out.
[WCS Underwater Recovery Team]
Space for this page has been supplied by the Physics
Department at Weber State
University, thank you!
Please direct all comments and queries to the webmaster at jsohl
"at" weber.edu (The email address is
written this way to help reduce the amount of spam I get, sorry for the